YGG Tyle’r Ynn have a very exciting reading scheme called Bug Club. It is available for all children in Year 3 – Year 6. Below you will find key information about the scheme and how you can get involved. We hope that you and your child will love these books and enjoy reading them at home.
What is Bug Club?
Bug Club is a finely levelled reading scheme, which ensures that all children can find books at exactly the right level for them.
Using the online reading world
Bug Club is an e-book reading scheme that your child will use for independent reading at home throughout the week. Each child has a unique homepage and can log into it by following these steps:
- Go to www.activelearnprimary.co.uk
- Enter your child’s login details (provided by the class teacher)
- Your child’s homepage will appear.
Reading a book online
We allocate books to your child according to their reading levels. These books will appear in the ‘My Stuff’ area of their personal homepages There are quiz questions for your child to complete. By answering these questions, your child will earn ‘ActiveLearn Coins’. By reading more books, your child will earn enough coins to ‘buy’ a reward in one of the many reward schemes.
Getting involved as a parent
- Look at the book cover and talk about your child’s expectations. Is the book likely to be fiction or non-fiction? Have you read other books together about these characters or by this author? What does your child think the book is going to be about?
- Support your child when unknown words need tackling: you can sound them out, split them into syllables, or identify suffixes and prefixes. Remind your child to listen to the words while reading them, to make sure that they make sense. Have a ‘meaning check’ every now and again to ensure that your child understands the text.
- Talk about the book. What was it about? Did it match your child’s expectations? Ask questions beginning with the words how and why to check that your child has been able to read between the lines. Ask whether anything seemed puzzling. Then ask your child to explain what the best and worst bits of the book were, and why.
We hope your child enjoys reading on Bug Club!
If you have any queries, please speak with your child’s teacher.